Air conditioner maintenance is a must. If you neglect taking care of your air conditioning unit, you’ll see its performance decline while its energy use increases. In addition, you’re likely to incur steep repair costs due to sudden breakages.
While you can take care of some maintenance tasks yourself, others are best left to an expert. In this article, we tell you what you need to know about air conditioner maintenance.
What You Can Do Yourself
There are a number of maintenance tasks that you can and should perform yourself on a regular basis. This includes the following:
• Replace or Clean the Filters
Ensuring that the filters are clean is the maintenance task you most need to stay most on top of. Cleaning or replacing them should be done every one to three months. Clogged filters block airflow and reduce your unit’s efficiency by as much as 15%. Some filters are reusable, while others need to be replaced.
• Clean Debris on Outdoor Units
If you have a split air conditioner system, be sure to regularly clean any leaves and debris that collect on the fan, compressor and condenser of the outdoor unit.
Check the users’ manual to learn what other maintenance tasks you should regularly
What You Should Leave to the Pros
It’s important to get your air conditioner serviced annually, preferably every spring, so that it’s in top shape and otherwise ready for summer. A qualified technician will perform a number of essential maintenance tasks, including:
- Examining refrigerant levels
- Looking for and repairing refrigerant leaks
- Finding and sealing duct leakages
- Lubricating the motor and other moving parts
- Determining the accuracy of the thermostat
- Inspecting and tightening electrical connections
- Clearing the condensation drain line
- Straightening the coil fins - the aluminum coils fins on your unit can easily bend, and if this happens, air flow could be blocked.
These maintenance tasks improve your unit’s performance and can help ward off costly breakdowns.
Signs That Your Unit Needs Immediate Servicing
If you notice any of the following issues, call in a professional to service your unit right away:
- Poor air flow or lack of cold air
- Pools of water around the unit
- Unusual sounds such as squealing or grinding
- Foul or strange odours
- Unusually high energy bills
Dependable Maintenance and Repair of Air Conditioning Units in Ottawa
The experienced technicians at Clement Marchand are able to service and repair all types of air conditioners. We also carry and install quality air conditioning units. Contact us today to learn more about our air conditioning services in Ottawa.